Siteground hosting offers various features that make it perfect shared hosting for WordPress blog. In the past, I have used various shared hosting mostly owned by EIG group, and recently I started using Siteground and Instantly fall in love with the quality of hosting it offers.
Apart from all the usual features that you will get on a shared hosting, Siteground have done a tremendous job to make it’s hosting WordPress optimized. They have developed their in-house caching mechanism that makes a WordPress blog load way faster.
Considering the above point in mind, you would love their Supercacher technology. Supercacher includes four different caching option that you can enable from your Siteground Dashboard and also offers a WordPress plugin. I will share a detailed tutorial on Supercacher in upcoming tutorials for now let’s look at how you can install WordPress on Siteground hosting.
If you are the first time here and haven’t purchased Siteground hosting, you can purchase it from the below link & get 60% discount with free domain name.
Guide to Install WordPress Blog on Siteground hosting:
To follow this guide, keep your Siteground login handy and login to your Siteground dashboard. Once you are inside your Dashboard, click on cPanel under my account to go to Siteground cPanel.
Siteground offers cPanel that is most popular hosting control panel. It makes it easier for non-technical users like you to do technical tasks with ease. Siteground uses Softaculous auto-installer script, which makes it easier for anyone to install numerous Web-application quickly & with few clicks.
Without getting more into the technical know-how of Softaculous and Siteground technology, let’s look at how you can have your WordPress blog up and running in next 5 minutes.
- Login to your Siteground Dashboard
- Click on My account > go to cPanel
Inside your Dashboard, click on WordPress under auto-installer:
This will take you to the Softaculous powered WordPress installer page. On that page click on Install to start configuring your WordPress installation.
On the page, start configuring your WordPress blog installation. Every step is straight-forward and you need to configure only a few settings, such as:
- Choose protocol: In this you can select Www with your domain or nonwww. I prefer using non-www, as it keeps my length of URL shorter. Also, there is no direct benefit of using www in the domain name.
- Choose domain: If you have multiple domains on your Siteground account, you can simply select the domain name from the drop-down on which you want to install WordPress.
- In Directory: If you want to install WordPress on sub-directory such as domain.com/blog, you can add blog in this field. In my case, I’m installing WordPress on the root domain (Ex: SGusers.com). In most of the cases, you would leave it blank.
- Database name & Table Prefix: No need to make any changes here.
- Sitename & description: You can add your site-name details right now or you can do it once your WordPress blog is installed. (You can take reference from below screenshot)
- Next step is to configure the login details. By default, Siteground will suggest a username and password for you. You can use the same or use any uname or password of your choice. Make sure you don’t use ‘admin’ as username and use a complex password to keep your login secure.
- Siteground also installs & activate Limit Login WordPress plugin by default, which protects login from brute-force attack.
- Ensure that admin email address is working. If you are not using your domain email address, you can use the email address you are using.
- Click on install and Softaculous will install WordPress blog for you in 1-2 minutes. You will see a confirmation screen like below:
- Type domain.com/wp-admin (Replace domain.com with your domain name), and you will see WordPress login page as shown below:
Use the login that you created above, and you will be inside your WordPress dashboard. Before you write your first blog post, you need to configure few things to make your blog ready for world.
Checklist to follow after WordPress installation:
- Delete default WordPress post and pages.
- Go to Settings > Permalink & Select post name as permalink structure. Click on Save.
- Go to settings> General & configure your site name, description and also time-Zone.
- Go to settings> Discussion and configure your comment settings. Here is a useful guide that you can refer to.
Install Essential WordPress Plugins:
Here is list of plugins that you should install after setting up your WordPress blog.
- Akismet WordPress plugin
- WordPress SEO by Yoast Plugin
- WP Smush.it Plugin
- WP Super Cache plugin
- Jetpack WordPress plugin
- No Self-ping WordPress plugin
- Monarch Plugin for Social Media sharing
With this, your blog is almost ready to start publishing. Ensure that you install a good looking WordPress theme. I recommend you to use Genesis theme, which is the best WordPress theme.
I wish you best of luck with your new WordPress blog. You can also subscribe to our Email newsletter for more updates on using Siteground hosting and make most out of your WordPress blog. This blog is a community blog for users using Siteground or planning to use.
Check out Siteground hosting (This is a discounted link)
If you find this guide interesting, do share with others on your Social networking site. You can also email this tutorial to your friend who wish to have a WordPress blog of his own.
Do you have a question regarding WordPress installation or any other related to above topic? Feel free to ask using comment form below.
Latest posts by Harsh Agrawal (see all)
- SiteGround Coupon – Get Maximum Discount on Hosting - December 1, 2018
- SiteGround BlackFriday & CyberMonday Deal: Save 75% [**Exclusive] - November 21, 2018
- How To Enable Siteground SuperCacher For WordPress Site - November 5, 2018